Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.
At the start of each New Year, we often reevaluate our routines and habits. There seems to be extra motivation to make a change for good. There’s actually never a bad time to stir our hearts towards a renewed commitment to seek the Lord daily through His Word and through spiritual disciplines. No matter how long you’ve been a believer, it is easy to underestimate our desperate need to preach the gospel to our souls every day and experience the Lord’s presence. Private worship time is about creating a space and time within which to fellowship with our Lord.
There is no one right way of doing private worship. Especially in this day and age, there are so many options. Here is a brainstorm of ideas to hopefully inspire you and give you new tools and approaches to pursuing daily joy in Christ.
May the Lord cause our hearts to hunger for Him.
- Wonderful Things from Your Word.
- Build a new habit.
- Shape Your Life with the Words of Life.
- 20 Quotes on Prayer.
- Never in January by Noel Piper.
- In Praise of the Quiet Time.
Books on Private Worship
- Mathis, Habits of Grace
- Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Man
- Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Woman
- Keller, Prayer
- Whitney, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
- Whitney, Ten Questions to Diagnose your Spiritual Health
- ESV Study Bible
- ESV Reader's Bible
- ESV Gospel Transformation Bible
- ESV Single Column Journaling Bible
- ESV Illuminated Bible
- ESV Journaling Psalter
- The Thompson Chain Reference Bible
- NLT Two Year Bible
- The Reformation Study Bible
- NIV Study Bible
- NIV One Year Chronological Bible
- 12 ESV Reading Plans
- Book of the Bible Intensive
- Plans from Ligonier
- Reading the Bible in a year
- Joe Carter’s TGC Plan for Changing Your Mind
- The Two Year Plan
- Luther, A Simple Way to Pray
- Five Ways to Flourish in Journaling
- Piper, Devote Yourselves to Prayer
- Valley of Vision
- Keller, How to Pray the Psalms
- Miller, A Praying Life
- Mack, Reaching the Ear of God: Praying More and More Like Jesus
- Whitney, Praying the Bible
- Spurgeon, Morning and Evening
- Guthrie, The One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament
- Carson, For the Love of God
- Luther, Faith Alone
- Lloyd-Jones, Walking with God Day by Day
- Fitzpatrick, Comforts from the Cross (31 days)
- Bridges, Holiness Day by Day
- Keller, The Songs of Jesus
- Vincent, The Gospel Primer for Christians
Scripture Memory (Set 3 in 2018)
- ReadingPlan to track your Bible reading.
- Evernote to collect favorite verses on helpful topics.
- The ESV Study Bible app for daily reading.
- YouVersion for reading and built-in reading plans.
- Spotify to collect songs for personal worship.
- Olive Tree Study Bible & Commentaries
- The Bible Project Read Scripture Plan (with contextual videos)
- Fighter Verses app for scripture memory on your iOS or Android device.
- Listen to scripture text turned into speech with Voice Dream.