Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.
At the start of each New Year, we often reevaluate our routines and habits. There seems to be extra motivation to make a change for good. There’s actually never a bad time to stir our hearts towards a renewed commitment to seek the Lord daily through His Word and through spiritual disciplines. No matter how long you’ve been a believer, it is easy to underestimate our desperate need to preach the gospel to our souls every day and experience the Lord’s presence. Private worship time is about creating a space and time within which to fellowship with our Lord.
There is no one right way of doing private worship. Especially in this day and age, there are so many options. Here is a brainstorm of ideas to hopefully inspire you and give you new tools and approaches to pursuing daily joy in Christ.
May the Lord cause our hearts to hunger for Him.
- Wonderful Things from Your Word.
- Build a new habit.
- Shape Your Life with the Words of Life.
- 20 Quotes on Prayer.
- Never in January by Noel Piper.
- In Praise of the Quiet Time.
Books on Private Worship
- David Mathis, Habits of Grace
- Kent Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Man
- Barbara Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Woman
- Tim Keller, Prayer
- ESV Study Bible
- ESV Reader's Bible
- ESV Gospel Transformation Bible
- ESV Single Column Journaling Bible
- Luther, A Simple Way to Pray
- Five Ways to Flourish in Journaling
- Piper, Devote Yourselves to Prayer
- Valley of Vision
- Keller, How to Pray the Psalms
- Spurgeon, Morning and Evening
- Guthrie, The One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament
- Carson, For the Love of God
- Luther, Faith Alone
- Lloyd-Jones, Walking with God Day by Day
- Fitzpatrick, Comforts from the Cross (31 days)
- Bridges, Holiness Day by Day
- Keller, The Songs of Jesus
Scripture Memory (Set 2 in 2017)
- Use ReadingPlan to track your Bible reading.
- Use Evernote to collect favorite verses on helpful topics.
- Use the ESV Study Bible app for daily reading.
- Use PrayerMate.
- Use YouVersion for reading and built-in reading plans.
- Use Spotify to collect songs for personal worship.
- Use Fighter Verses app for scripture memory on your iOS or Android device.
- Listen to scripture text turned into speech with Voice Dream.